and entrepreneurs in the Philippines
TECH PLANTER in the Philippines 2023Discovering and nurturing Real Tech seeds
and entrepreneurs in the Philippines
- The TECH PLANTER in the Philippines 2023 is a pitching competition joined by teams of researchers and/or deep technology startups with a passion to bring change and impact to the world. However, the pitching competition itself is just one aspect of the whole initiative, as Leave a Nest also pushes the collaboration between ventures and big companies to create new businesses.
This program has been running in Japan since 2014, and it will be the 7th year to implement it in the Philippines this 2023.
- Pre-startup researchers in the different science and technology fields, even if they only have the idea so far.
- Early stage startups, research teams or individuals in real tech field.
- Mature startups or SMEs seeking collaborators, even if they are close to mass production or PMF establishment.
- Visionaries that aim to change the world and/or their own country to a better place using science- and technology-based seeds.
- Those who are interested in the Japanese market or collaboration with Japanese corporations.
- Categories of the TECH
- Bio, Eco, Med, Food, Agri, Marine, Deep
- Application Period
- 2023/1/13 (Fri)～2023/3/10 (Fri)
- Judging Criteria
A panel of judges consisting of Leave a Nest and its partners will evaluate each of the following items.
- 03IMPACT TO
- Grand Winner
(Monetary amount TBA)
- ASSET01Leave a Nest Communicator
- ASSET02Japanese Partner Companies
- ASSET03Local Partners
- ASSET04Super Factory Group
- SUPPORT01Organizing the vision your business
- SUPPORT02Brushing up your presentation
- SUPPORT03Opportunities for collaboration with Japanese corporates
- SUPPORT04Support for R&D and prototype development
- SUPPORT05Support for Knowledge and IP Strategies
- SUPPORT06Investment and support for finance
- Name of the DEMO DAY
- TECH PLANTER in the Philippines 2023
- Escaler Hall, Ateneo de Manila University
- Date & Time
- 2023/5/13 (Sat)13:00-18:00 in Philippine Time
- Application Period
- 2023/1/13 (Fri)～2023/3/10 (Fri)
- Eligible Participants
- Semi-closed, pre-registration required (finalists, partner companies, local supporters)
- Leave a Nest
- Opening Ceremony
- Finalist Presentations
- Judging, Lightning talks & Panel
- Awards & Closing
Managing Director, Leave a Nest Philippines, Inc.,Dr. Yevgeny Aster Dulla
Frontier Development Division, Leave a Nest Co., Ltd. Japan
- Yev was born and raised in Iloilo City, Philippines. He graduated with a degree in BS Chemistry from the University of the Philippines – Visayas, after which he worked as an instructor at the University of the Philippines – Manila. He came to Japan in 2013 to pursue graduate studies where he acquired his Masters in Health Life Sciences and PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences. In 2020, he joined Leave a Nest Co., Ltd. and is currently under the Frontier Development Division. He is also a Balik Scientist Awardee for 2020~2021, and is the Managing Director for Leave a Nest’s newly opened Philippine subsidiary.
Business Creation Department, Focus Systems CorporationMr. Ryo Inori
- Ryo Inori joined Focus Systems Corporation in 2015. He is responsible for the sales of information security products such as data encryption for the financial industry, as well as content security products such as copyright protection for still and moving digital data. He has been promoting information security products such as data encryption for the financial industry, as well as content security products such as copyright protection for digital data of still and moving images. He is also engaged in the promotion of services in the manufacturing and medical industries.
Currently, in parallel with his product sales activities, he is also working with startup companies and university research laboratories. Most recently, he has been engaged in supporting research using VR with Kobe University Hospital.
Strategy & Administration Division, EBARA CorporationMr. Sho Kosaka
- EBARA Corporation supports society, industry, and daily life around the world in many different fields, including our core product of pumps, fans, compressors and turbines, and semiconductor manufacturing equipment. Currently Mr. Kosaka handles M&As, organizational restructuring and new business development for EBARA Corporation as a member of the Strategy & Administration Division. Prior to current position, Mr. Kosaka has worked for Real Tech Holdings, Japan & Singapore based venture capital. He was involved in the investment and hands-on support in deep-tech startups in Southeast Asia.
Co-founder & Chief Technology Officer, Euglena Co., Ltd.Dr. Kengo Suzuki
- Kengo Suzuki is the Co-founder and CTO of Euglena Co., Ltd., a Japanese biotechnology company that focuses on microalgae-based products. Dr. Suzuki holds a Ph.D. in Medical Science from Kitasato University and a PhD in Agriculture from the University of Tokyo. His expertise lies in the fields of phycology, food science, molecular biology, and immunology. Suzuki has over 15 years of experience in research and development, including his current position as a specially appointed professor at Tohoku University and visiting professor at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. His scientific publications cover topics such as sulfur-compound metabolism, β-glucan, euglena cultivation, and adipocyte-differentiation. Additionally, he has experience in the mass cultivation of euglena and the establishment of microalgae production technology laboratories.
Growth Manager, Real Tech Holdings Singapore Pte Ltd.Mr. Daiki Kumamoto
- Daiki Kumamoto is the growth manager of Real Tech Fund as well as the leader of Global Fund, mainly investing into deep-tech startups in Southeast Asia. He invests in startups that bring solutions to care / welfare, serving as a director of aba; developing sensors for excretion detectors for elderly care. For investments in Southeast Asia, he is in charge of NDR Medical, Austrianova, Karana, ceEntek and many more. Before joining Real Tech in 2018, he was the president of the AIESEC, the largest NPO in Japan that commits in supporting young entrepreneurs globally. He graduated from Keio SFC University with a bachelor in management. Before joining Real Tech, he was the president of the largest NPO in Japan that commits in supporting young entrepreneurs globally. He graduated from Keio SFC University with a bachelor in management.
Head of Innovations Lab & Ecosystem Partnerships (Innolab), PLDT Inc.Kristine Dara Ever Juan
- Dara is the Head of PLDT Innovations Lab and Ecosystem Partnerships or Innolab. Innolab is PLDT Inc.’s innovation laboratory empowering and curating local startups to commercialization. Dara inculcates a culture of innovation in their company by designing and organizing open innovation activities such as MVP Geek Olympics (an MVP group-wide hackathon) and PLDT & Smart Startup Innovation Challenge (a hackathon for startups) to create a sustainable collaborative environment. She bridges the cultural gap between startups and PLDT by facilitating activities and implementing initiatives focused on corporate-startup engagement. She acts as an advocate to drive collaboration and community initiatives and execute a roll-out strategy for potential business opportunities with startups in PLDT Enterprise. She is also an alumna of Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI) Professional Fellow for Economic Empowerment, where she regularly shares innovative ideas and best practices to her other fellows across SEA.
Executive Director, Department of Science and Technology - Philippine Council for Industry,Dr. Enrico Paringit
Energy and Emerging Technology Research and Development (DOST-PCIEERD)
- Dr. Enrico C. Paringit started as the executive director of DOST-PCIEERD in December 2018. An outstanding engineer, he led game-changing programs and projects in land surveying, remote sensing and geographic information system, environmental monitoring, and disaster risk assessment and management. One of these is the Disaster Risk Assessment, Exposure and Mitigation-Light Ranging and Detection Technology or DREAM LiDAR, which addresses the effects of flooding disasters in the Philippines through accurate national terrain elevation maps and training of LiDAR and flood mapping experts.
Head of Operations, IdeaSpace Foundation Inc.Mr. John Dave Del Rosario
- Dave is the Head of Operations at IdeaSpace Foundation Inc, a non-profit organization that houses the 2 leading brands that support the Ph Startup Ecosystem- the IdeaSpace and QBO Innovation Hub. Between 2016-2019, he worked in Iligan City and helped build and develop the local startup community of Mindanao through his Center Manager role at IDEYA, a technology business incubator established by DOST PCIEERD inside MSU-IIT. Dave possesses a strong and diverse experience in the areas of project management, incubator development, and community development. He is an alumnus of YSEALI Academic Fellow 2018 and also a Startup Weekend Facilitator.
Consultant, Industry Solutions Consulting (ISC), Nomura Research Institute (NRI)Mr. Jonas Marie Dumdum
- Jonas Marie Dumdum is aConsultant under the Industry Solutions Consulting (ISC) sector of Nomura Research Institute Singapore Pte Ltd – Manila Branch and is one of the lead consultants of the NRI Manila Sustainability Service. He also works as Corporate Secretary of Sustainable PH, Inc., a nongovernment organization promoting the causes of sustainability in the Philippines. He is also a co-host of the Sustainarumble! Podcast, the first podcast in the Philippines that talks about issues on sustainable development in the country. He also is Sustainarumble's permanent representative to the Stakeholders' Chamber for the SDGs by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA). He is the recipient of the 2022 Sustainability Unplugged Award under the Corporate Sustainability Practitioners Category.
He is a Registered Chemist in the Philippines and Sustainability Practitioner by profession, and an advocate of sustainability science and policy. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry at the University of the Philippines Los Baños in 2015 and a Master of Science in Renewable Energy and Resource Management in 2017 at University of South Wales in the United Kingdom.
Founder & Chief Executive Officer, BeavrrMr. Marrione Pol Camacho
- With a Bachelors in Commerce from De La Salle University and a Masters in Social Entrepreneurship from the Hult International Business School, Marrione has vast experiences in business development and creating new business. He was the Managing Director of the NEXUS Innovation Labs and a Business Development Manager of the Draper Startup House before he established Beavrr, a community-driven platform that fosters entrepreneurshipand innovation through a range of events and resources. While juggling his activities asa startup founder, he also currently works as the Head of Business Development at the Embiggen Group.
- Filyro Waste Solutions
- Dr. Ramer P. Bautista, School of Technology Dean, UP Visayas
Oil-based thermal disinfection technology
- Stage Biotech
- Danielle Lapinig, ARISE Research Fellow, Ateneo de Manila University
Open-science medium-scale cellular bioreactor
Real Tech Holding Singapore Award
- Makiling Tek, Inc.
- Dr. Lilia M. Fernando-Corpuz, Associate Professor 3, UP Los Banos
Nanoformulated macronutrient fertilizer
- Dr. Bernadeth Ticar, Professor 3, Iloilo Science and Technology University
Glycosaminoglycans from heads of silver-banded whiting application in wound treatment, food and cosmetics
- Dr. Divina Amalin, Professor, De La Salle University Manila
Nanoclay particle film for cacao pods
Leave a Nest Award, Focus Systems Award
- Jose Claro N. Monje, CEO of EnviSense and Assistant Professor, Ateneo de Manila University
Customizable groundwater monitoring system
- Cherry Murillon, CEO, CAWIL.AI
Mobile application with AI-integrated species identification and weight estimation of fishes
- Leo Marcelo Villalba, CEO and Co-founder, mHycro
Micro-pumped hydro energy storage system for remote mountainous communities
PLDT Enterprise Award
- Richmon Corres, Founder of ARES and Student, Asian Institute of Management
Energy recycling system for tunnel-ventilated poultry farm fans
|Tidal Philippines by Saltric
|Vertical-axis tidal turbines deployed in oceans to harvest energy
|Patrick Roland De Guzman, Founder and Managing Officer, Saltric
|Employee Engagement and Well-Being
|Kirstin Leigh Pareja, Co-founder and CEO, Welby
|Team Coffee PH
|Platform powered by AI and local communities to identify plant diseases from images and location
|Lloyd Guiruela, Student, Central Bicol State University of Agriculture
|Development of process in turning indigenous raspberry into instant herbal tea
|Angeli Ann Rescober, Assistant Professor 3, Adamson University
|ManLithos Foldable Tank with Zeramic Filters
|Foldable water tank with filter from clay zeolite nanotechnology
|Eleanor M. Olegario, President and Founder, Lithos Manufacturing
|Container Living PH
|Retrofitting of shipping containers into modular building blocks
|Ma. Cristina C. Evangelista, Founder and CEO, Container Living PH